FAQS: Supporting Students

1. What must I do to keep student information private?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The UMD Policy and Procedures on the Disclosure of Student Education Records implements FERPA on campus. Contact the Office of the Registrar or the Office of General Counsel for guidance.

2. Should I obtain written consent from a student who has asked me to write a recommendation?

Yes. A sample permission form (in PDF format) is available under the title “FERPA Release for Recommendations” through the Resources and referrals for Employees section of the General Counsel website. Contact the Office of General Counsel for additional guidance.

3. What should I do if I see a person who may be a threat to themselves or others?

For emergencies and other imminently dangerous situations, contact the UMD Police Department from campus phones at 911 or 301-405-3333. Dial #3333 from any Verizon Wireless, AT&T, Sprint or T-Mobile cell phone. For non-emergencies, contact the UMD Police Department at 301-405-3555.

4. What can I do if I am concerned about a campus community member’s health?

Community members with physical health concerns should be referred to the University Health Center for physical health services. For mental health services, contact either the Counseling Center or the University Health Center’s Behavioral Health Services department.

5. How can a student report a hate bias incident?

The student may submit a Bias Incident Report Form, email biassupport@umd.edu, or for pervasive discrimination, contact the Office of Civil Rights & Sexual Misconduct to file a Discrimination complaint. If the student believes the incident was criminal in nature or an immediate threat, you may suggest the student file a tip with the UMD Police Department.

6. How can I assist a student who reports being subjected to discrimination or harassment?

The Office of Civil Rights & Sexual Misconduct (OCRSM) is a resource for members of the UMD community on all forms of discrimination and harassment. Complaints may be filed with OCRSM using these Discrimination Complaint forms. You may have an obligation to make a report to OCRSM under UMD Policy and federal law if you qualify as a “Responsible University Employee.”

7. What should I do if a student reports to me (or I become aware) that he/she has been sexually assaulted?

Review the Confidential Resources on the website of the Office of Civil Rights & Sexual Misconduct (OCRSM) to share with the student, if desired. Refer to the RUE Reporting Obligations document, for guidance on how to respond to a disclosure and how to report it to OCRSM to fulfill your reporting obligations.

8. To whom may I refer a victim of sexual assault who wants to talk with someone confidentially?

The Care to Stop Violence Program in the University Health Center offers confidential services to victims of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and sexual harassment. They may also speak to any other confidential resources.

9. What should I do if a student reports to me (or I become aware) that he/she has been the victim of child abuse or neglect?

Under Maryland law, all members of the campus community are required to report suspected child abuse or neglect to Child Protective Services or the police. In addition, Maryland law imposes additional reporting requirements on health practitioners, law enforcement officers, educators/professional employees, human service workers, and other professional employees, when acting in a professional capacity, who have reason to believe a child has been subjected to abuse or neglect. Consult the USM Policy on the Reporting of Suspected Child Abuse and Neglect and related FAQs. Review the UMD Policies and Procedures on the Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect for reporting deadlines and procedures.