Subpoenas & Legal Process

When UMD is NOT a Party to the Suit or Action

Upon receipt of a subpoena in your office please do the following:

  1. Do not respond directly to the subpoena.
  2. If you are asked to sign for receipt of the subpoena, make a copy of the signed receipt and record the date of receipt. If you receive a subpoena via certified mail, make a copy of the return receipt after it is signed and dated with the date of receipt.
  3. Please immediately forward the subpoena, any document evidencing receipt of the subpoena, and the envelope that contained the subpoena if the subpoena was served by mail, to the Office of General Counsel.

  4. Please also forward any responsive documents, but do not delay sending a copy of the subpoena itself while documents are being gathered. It is important to immediately send the subpoena to ensure a timely response. Failure to timely respond to a subpoena may result in sanctions imposed by the court.
  5. The Office of General Counsel will review and respond directly to the request on your behalf. If you have general questions regarding a subpoena, please contact our office at 301.405.4945

When UMD IS a Party to the Suit or Action

The University may NOT accept service. All subpoenas, complaints or summons where the University is being sued (named as a defendant), must be served on the Attorney General:

Office of the Attorney General
Civil Litigation Division
200 St. Paul Place
Baltimore, MD 21202

If you are served with a summons and complaint, or subpoena, related to events that happened at work, please contact the Office of General Counsel for further information and assistance.

Website Disclaimer

This website is provided as a resource for learning basic legal competencies on a variety of topics that affect the university.

Disclaimer Notice: These materials are presented here for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice on a particular matter. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific facts and circumstances relating to an issue. For legal advice on a particular university matter within your official responsibilities, please consult with a member of the Office of General Counsel.